Thursday, August 05, 2010

Increasing Intensity



Training load is as good as it's going to get, CTL peaked/stabilized in June where it's maintained for the last few months. You can take CTL only so high based on the hours you are able to train each week. It should stay there until the extended break I take 9 days from now.

With a good dose of threshold training and the beginnings of higher end intensity during the Dirt Crits behind me, its now time to focus on specific intensity work. I have a very light race schedule between now and Hermann Cross which is good so I can focus on weekday workouts and not worry about feeling fresh for weekend races.

Today I did a new for me VO2 MAx/ Variable power workout that certainly defined intensity! Tabata Intervals. 3 sets of 8 x 20 seconds On FULL GAS, 10 seconds OFF with 8 to 10 minutes between sets. Overall power numbers were a good place to grow from.

43 days til cross!

1 comment:

  1. Damn. Someone is on to my secret! Tabata is great for running and riding and perfect for high end stuff. But, b/c of the short recovery it does zilch for max power in my experience.

    ReplyDelete